Enjoy a 97-year sanctuary of tradition and charm as you pass through the gates of the Oaks Country Club. Established in June 1921, the Oaks is one of the oldest country clubs in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
The concept of the club came from William Weichel and Walter Ahrens, who had been separately rallying for a new Tulsa country club. The two men joined forces and formed a 45-member charter called the Golfer’s Club Association. A site selection committee recommended the present location for the home of the new club, and the 312 acre property was cleared of over 2,000 oak trees. In honor of the many trees, the association’s name changed to Oakhurst Country Club.
A.W. Tillinghast, a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame & Museum, designed the original 18-hole course. His basic philosophy was that nature must precede the architect in the laying out of a golf course, and he had an uncanny ability of fitting 18 holes of golf to the natural contour of the land available. Another of his trademark designs is also featured on the course: begin with three relatively easy holes and end with three rather difficult holes. Oakhurst Country Club was sold to its members in 1947, and the Oaks Country Club was born.
In 2014, the membership voted in support of a two-phase $7.2 million renovation plan. The first phase was completed May 2015 which included the golf course, pool and pool clubhouse improvements. The golf course renovations include new greens, bunkers, additional tee boxes, improved cart paths and fairways. The pool facility includes a new recreation pool with a state-of-the-art slide feature and new decking which will enhance our existing pools. The second phase of the project, beginning in 2018, will include improvements to the member indoor and outdoor dining areas.
From the elegance of a striking hilltop location, to the natural beauty of an 18-hole Tillinghast-designed championship golf course, the Oaks truly is the best kept secret in Tulsa.